Sausage & Kale Soup
A simple throw-n-go soup for lunch.
depends on prep methods
About this Recipe
This is one of my favorite prep-ahead, grab and go meals. Let me tell you why.
So, on a day I’m having sausage and kale soup, I get out my Crock Pot individual-size food warmer. Into it’s stainless steel cup I throw my chopped up sausage patty, the frozen kale, the bouillon cubes, and either 1 tbsp of coconut oil, butter, or heavy whipping cream. I SO NOT ADD THE WATER. I pop on the lid, and I go.
Now, whenever I get where I’m going (the office, etc), I get 2 cups of water, and plug the bad boy in. In an hour, I have a hot bowl of soup.
- 2 oz ground pork sausage, cooked (2oz is pre-cooking weight)
- 1/2 cup chopped, frozen kale
- 2 bouillon cubes + 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2oz is pre-cooking weight
- Pick a ground sausage you like. (I prefer hot sausage.)
- Fresh spinach is also good.
- You can use 2 cups of broth as an alternative to the bouillon and water.
- If you don’t care for sausage, you can use any ground meat of your choice. =) I’m easy that way.
- Fat 72%
- Carbs 10%
- Protein 18%
Step by Step Instructions
Slice up a 12 oz tube of sausage into 6 chunks. Put those six chunks of sausage on a cookie rack, over a pan in the oven, and bake the sausage until done.
Crumble or slice a portion of the pre-cooked sausage into small chunks.
Combine cooked sausage, kale, bouillon cubes, water, and heavy whipping cream in a pan over medium heat. Stir.
Heat until warmed throughout and kale is tender.
Serve with ground white pepper, or chipotle pepper flakes